Saturday, October 17, 2009

Home. Food. Life.

October 16, 2009
The Frazzled Cook
Luna Mencias Street, Mandaluyong City

The 3 words on the title was what Frazzled Cook was all about. From the minds behind Fat Michael's comes this new restaurant just near my own home. So close that perhaps this can also be my second home.

Peruvian Hotpot - I really loved this dish... it reminded me of that great lamb stew (kaldereta) I tasted from my girlfriend's mom. It was definitely the epitome of home cooking and so was this dish. I liked the essence of the whole dish... how the lamb combined with the rich tomato sauce produced a gamy aftertaste which was really not as bad as it sounds. In fact, it gave personality to a simple dish. The tomato sauce was perfectly seasoned and the spices were really noticeable. The lamb meat was pretty tender and marinated properly. This was my favorite dish of the night.

Wagyu Salpicao - The beef was really tender. I am not exaggerating that the meat was like butter. I never really liked wagyu because of it's acquired flavor but I loved the Wagyu Salpicao at Frazzled. The dish was perfect over the rice but I would have preferred for it to have been plain. The viand was delicious enough and plain rice could have sufficed. I felt like a prodigal son to wagyu with this dish. Coming back to it definitely made me question my abstinence from wagyu...

Lengua - The sauce over the lengua cut was really flavorful. Sure, it needed more body to it but I think it actually served its purpose well. The ox tongue on the other hand was a bit tough for me. My sister liked it for it's bite but I personally prefer my lengua really tender. I would have loved it if it would have melted in my mouth like the Wagyu Salpicao instead of me chewing it.

Frazzled Cook reminded me of one thing: Nothing beats a home cooked meal. And the food was not the only thing homey about the restaurant, it has probably the best dining area I've ever seen. The coziness. The ambience. It was just like home. Chef Jude Mancuyas also went out of the kitchen to chat with us about his love for food and life in general. And yes, he was definitely one frazzled cook.

4 comments:

Cza said...

Wow.. the food looks delicious. Especially the hotpot! We shall try that one hopefully soon. :) Affordable naman?

oliboy said...

yeah sarap naman... though my photos didn't quite do it justice... next time, i'll go back with the better camera... umm, medyo pricey sya pero masarap naman e tsaka super ok yung design ng place! :)

22loy said...

Hey, I'm an ICAn. May we invite you to a menu launch?

oliboy said...

hey 22loy! sure just send me an email...

Related Posts with Thumbnails