Friday, October 17, 2008

Dessert Of Choice

October 13, 2008
Café Breton
Greenbelt 3, Makati City

Ever since I started blogging about food, I've tried out a couple of weird dishes. This, on the other hand, may not go into the annals of exotic food but it is somewhat of a weird combination for a dessert. To tell you honestly, I'm really not fond of desserts. I really don't like the sweet stuff. Maybe on some rare occasion or if the mood calls for it, I'd try out some cakes and pastries but not to the point of gorging on it. This slight dislike of desserts might have been what gave birth to the dessert of my choice. As they would say, necessity is the mother of invention.

The dessert of my choice would be a crepe from Café Breton topped with condensed milk. Simple. Classic. Now to cut the sweetness a bit, I tried putting some salt on it. Kinda weird placing salt on a dessert but I just had to try it. Viola! A new favorite dessert of mine was born.

As you bite into the buttered, slightly crisp crepe, the sweetness of the condensed milk floods your mouth. The moment it touches your palette, the sweet-creamy texture of the condensed milk coats the roof of your mouth. The flavors rush throughout all the various nerve endings inside your mouth and you experience euphoria. You close your eyes to heighten the sensation and it is in this time you get almost rhythmic salty spurts from the tiny grains of salt sprinkled on top of the prepared crepe. It was like tiny musical notes in a beautiful song. Like the gentle tapping that mom used to give when she tucked us into bed. At that moment, everything was just perfect.

Funny how a grain of salt can make a difference huh? You guys can try it out for yourself. I promise you'll love it. Remember to close your eyes to maximize the experience though. That's also my secret to actually taste good food.

11 comments:

Kiko said...

i'll have to give this a try. im more of a salty person myself and try to avoid sweets unless its chocolates. :)

oliboy said...

i hear you... i only like ferrero chocolates and andes mint chocolates though.

thanks for trusting me on this... you won't regret it! :)

ALiNe said...

hmmmm... masarap ba talaga?

n said...

you should try it w cheese! masarap din!

Corazon said...

Mmmmmm...... yum! I have more of a salt tooth myself. Have you ever tried salted caramel? Delish! Right now (I'm in San Francisco) Starbucks has a new beverage out - Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. The topping is a mixture of sea salt and raw sugar. I can't help skimming off the topping and eating it first.

mikky said...

cafe breton is a favorite... but never tried what you ordered yet, however, after the way you described it with the magic "salt", it makes me want to do it soon... :)

oliboy said...

ALIEN! sarap promise! try it out! :)

N, oooh that's a good idea! i will try it next time! :)

CORAZON, we'll get along really great cause as you can see i also have a salt tooth. that's awesome, wish starbucks can bring that here. i would love to try it out! :)

MIKKY, oooh such kind words of trust! thanks! i promise it's awesome! :)

gourmandtales said...

yup a dash of salt can make a difference:) even in cooking sweet treats

oliboy said...

baked goods usually are better with a little salt... it gives a little contrast to the sweetness which to the palette is heaven. thanks for the comment gourmandtales! :)

princess_dyanie said...

salt sa dessert? salt tooth ka pla ah! bago yun ah! hehe :P

oliboy said...

hahaha! yup yup! thanks to corazon for the term... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails