Thursday, September 18, 2008

More Steak?

September 16, 2008
Gulliver's Of San Francisco
Makati Avenue, Makati City

First off, I would like to apologize for the pictures that I got. It was really dark inside Gulliver's so I had no choice but to expose the food subject with blinding flash photography. I hope my little Photoshop skills minimized the obviousness of my amateur photography. I think it is really time to invest in a good lens and flash. Anyway, back to the business at hand:

The appetizer. Smoked Salmon. One of the best appetizers I've ever tasted. One of two things I am reminded of when I think about eating at Gulliver's, the first is the roasted prime rib... This is the second one. The Smoked Salmon had really authentic flavor. I feel that it was homemade since it was different from the normal packed smoked salmon I've tasted. The salmon was really tasty and was not masked by extreme smokiness. Good thing the smoky flavor was not too overpowering. Imagine biting into a smoked salmon as its smokiness clouds your palette and at the same time biting into a piece of caper. The sweetness/smokiness of the salmon combines with the saltiness of the caper and it's just magic. I just love it! So much for salad, this is the appetizer to rule them all!

The soup. French Onion Soup. One of my favorite soups of all time. I love how the flavor of the caramelized onions blend with the rich, hearty beef broth. To top it all, literally, is a piece of bread with real mozzarella cheese over it. Caramelized onions, beef broth, and mozzarella cheese... what more can you ask for? Gulliver's version of the French Onion Soup is not really different from the norm. They didn't really do anything special about it or changed any of the ingredients. This is a good thing since good onion soup recipes have remain unchanged through time. This is why I love this soup so much. It's authenticity. I've always thought that comfort food should never be changed.

The steak. Specifically the Roasted Prime Rib. A must-try at Gulliver's. This is the main reason why I always eat here. Sometimes I would try other main courses but I would eventually end up with this dish. A heaving plate of stake (the Gulliver's cut) with sidings of Yorkshire pudding, creamed corn, spinach, and baked potato. As you can see, the steak I had was cooked medium rare. The way I like it. The steak cut was nicely marbled and very tender. The flavor was just right and the usual sweet-metallic taste was there. The fact that I didn't finish the meal was surprising even for me. I guess I was really full with the bread, appetizer, and soup that I forgot to leave much space for the steak. Nonetheless, I would not let food go to waste so I asked for a doggy bag and took it home. The next day, I had steak for breakfast. A perfect way to end a day and to start a day... with steak! :)

I've tried Gulliver's a couple of times already and I really love it each time I go there. As you know by now, I'm a meat eater and I love steaks. Gulliver's offer steak dinners and is a great place for a romantic dinner for two. It is also a lovely place to treat the family for that job promotion you got. The prices are NOT that expensive and really worth it. The food is always great, the ambiance intimate, and one of the best steak joints this side of the metro.

11 comments:

Kiko said...

must try this place sometime. man that steak looks almost raw! a bit too rare for my taste :)

oliboy said...

yeah kiko! you should try it out! it's medium rare, you can try medium so you can maintain the tenderness of the roast beef. :)

dyosa said...

is this the one in Makati Ave? Great Eastern Hotel ba yun?

oliboy said...

yup! that's it dyosa! 10th floor great eastern hotel! :)

mikky said...

they definitely have earned a good reputation for their prime roast beef... :)

ALiNe said...

Agree olibear... sarap dito :D

oliboy said...

ayan alien, makati na yan! hahaha! palayo na ako ng palayo! hahaha!

gourmandtales said...

just a correction, its not puff pastry.. its yorkshire pudding...
i love this place too

oliboy said...

ooh thanks for the important info gourmandtales! I've edited my blog to include this info! :)

canDIshhh said...

Love the steak here! :) The price is also not so bad! :)

Yummy :)

oliboy said...

yup didi! even the sea bass is inexpensive and YUMMY! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails