Thursday, July 03, 2008

Last Malaysian Supper

July 3, 2008
Madam Kwan's
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

What better way to bid farewell to Malaysia but with a serving of some of the local cuisine and delicacies. To be honest, I'm not really a fan of Malaysian cuisine but here at Madam Kwan's, the food is great, service is great, not to mention the price. Price is really affordable. Our colleagues brought us to this restaurant for us to try real authentic Malaysian food like Nasi Bojari and Char Kway Teow. Madam Kwan's can be found at the Suria KLCC Mall which is under the Petronas Towers. It is situated at the top floor of the mall. They have a lot of patrons so better reserve.

Nasi Bojari. Fragrant fried rice, fried chicken, your choice of chicken curry or beef rendang, and chili shrimp. You can just imagine how good and filling this dish was. I was really full and I almost had given up finishing the meal. Good thing I didn't give up. The friend chicken was a very big piece and it was really juicy. The chicken meat was perfectly cooked and was succulent. I ordered the chicken curry instead of the beef rendang since we had ordered it separately as a side dish or viand. Too bad I forgot to take pictures of it. But believe me, the beef rendang is a MUST to order. Very very good and very very flavorful. Going back, the chicken curry was also very good. It was very tasty and the chicken was also cooked perfectly. The rice was very fragrant and tasty in itself. The only downside to this dish was the chili shrimps. The shrimps were kinda overcooked and I really didn't like the spices and the chilis used. It was too tangy for my taste. Too acidic. 4 out of five good parts ain't that bad, right?

Otak Otak. One of the delicacies of Malaysian cuisine. It was their version of meatloaf. Fish meatloaf to be exact. Reminded me much of Christmas meatloaf, locally called "everlasting". It was just ok. Not much of a main dish but more of a viand we added together with the beef rendang.

Beef Rendang. Was definitely one of my favorite dishes of the night. Too bad I didn't have pictures to show you guys. The flavor was very intense but not too much. The mixture of the spices was just right.

Dumpling Soup. Madam Kwan's version of the Chinese dumpling soup. The dumpling was really good and very flavorful. The seafood inside was fresh and was really cooked well. The only thing I didn't like about this was the soup itself. I may have been used to the usual MSG-laced broth that this broth didn't taste as good. Too bad though, it could have been a great soup accompaniment to our meal.

Char Kway Teow.
Yeah another stupid move of forgetting to take this dish's picture. One of the best Malaysian cuisine there is and Madam Kwan's version is definitely one of the best. Malaysian version of the Pad Thai and Hofan Noodles which is similar looking but very different when tasted. The Char Kway Teow is more tasty and less sweet compared to Thailand's Pad Thai. Definitely one of my favorite dishes in Malaysia.

Ice Campur. Now this was a dish that I just had to try. I didn't know how it tasted and what it had inside but I just had to try it. They say it is also a popular Malaysian dessert and so I tried it. The look of the dessert reminded me of the local "ice scramble" but when tasted, it was not like the "ice scramble". The dessert was more of a like the local "halo-halo". It consisted of grass jelly, dried fruits, and beans topped with crushed ice. Syrup and condensed milk was poured over the crushed ice. Didn't really like the taste of the whole dessert. Individually, the dried fruits and grass jelly were really good. But as a whole, the flavor tasted weird. Positive thing though was that is was really refreshing. A great palette cleanser.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails