Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ultimate Let-Down

June 6, 2008
Malcolm's Place
Salcedo Village, Makati City

They say that if you don't have nothing good to say, don't say it. BUT I am not a BLOG WHORE like the others so I'm saying this: Malcolm's SUCK!

Yes, Malcolm. That famous joint offering Wagyu steaks and burgers. I think I even had food poisoning after eating that over-priced over-rated 1,750-peso Wagyu steak. Didn't feel that well and went directly home, vomiting the next day.

Malcolm lovers, stop reading now. The rest, carry on...

Let's start with the appetizer. Maybe the 2nd and last best thing (I'll go back to the BEST thing later) of the whole experience. It's free, simple, and yummy! Fried wonton wraps or some kind of peppered carbohydrate with tartar sauce for dipping. No question, it was a very good appetizer and provided us an optimistic view on what is to come, but we were deceived.

The soup we had was pumpkin soup. A soup made of puréed pumpkin and topped with croutons. It was just ok. Nothing to really rave about. Nothing really special about this dish except for the fact that they used actual pumpkins in creating the soup base. Texture was good, a bit of chunkiness and of fluidity or creaminess. A tad salty in my opinion though, maybe left it simmering while the pot's lid was off OR maybe they just placed too much salt.

For the carbohydrate main course, we decided to get the Shrimply the Best. A pasta dish with shrimps, garlic, tomato sauce, and white wine reduction. First the pros, the shrimps were perfectly cooked. They were not fishy at all which makes them fresh (I hope!). The sauce was ok, nothing too fancy, basic. Which was good. Now the con, the pasta was not perfectly cooked. Kinda tough and not at all al dente. Probably undercooked. For one of their bestsellers, this wasn't quite a BESTseller in my book. I've tasted other pasta dishes better than this.

Onto the main dish, the ULTIMATE must-have in Malcolm's... or so they say. The steak was done medium-rare as I requested but it had a certain taste to it. A sort of gaminess, meaty taste. I've experienced this also with the Wagyu burger of Myron's but for 1,750 pesos, I tried so hard to like it and make it seem normal. It was definitely getting worse and I had to mask the gamy taste with the sweet creamy corn siding and the gravy. Sad though. Sad that I had to taste a MUST-HAVE(?) and feel this awful afterward. Maybe the reason behind this is the storage process or the freezing/defrosting of the Wagyu. I've tasted the awesome Wagyu burger of La Maison and it doesn't taste like this. Malcolm was coined as having the best Wagyu, I beg to disagree...

I've been trying to delay this blog for quite sometime now. Thinking of the best things to say. Maybe this will break my dry-spell. Finally saying what I want to say towards this highly over-rated Wagyu beef everybody's raving about. As I said before, stick to Black Angus Rib-Eye, it is the best beef/part there is...

Oh, before I forget! I have to say something good... Malcolm's service is the BEST. Yes it is! We were treated like royalty! We loved the service so much we slipped the waiter a personal tip. Too bad I couldn't say the same thing about the food. Sad actually, very sad... :(

8 comments:

dyosa said...

i haven't tried Malcolm's but a friend has been inviting me to dine there since last yr pa. Now that I've read your review, I'm more curious to check it out. I'll let you know how my dining experience turned out (pag naka-dine na ako sa Malcolm's).

oliboy said...

yeah! do try it and tell me how your experience goes. mine was a bad one so it'll gonna take a lot of persuading for me to eventually go back to malcolm's! :) hope your experience there is far better than mine! :)

thanks for passing by my blog dyosa! :)

Jela said...

My friend is so gonna hate me for this, because she love Malcolm's and was the one who told me about it, but I think their food is overhyped. I tried the Wagyu burger and it's just as bland as McDonald's! I agree with you on the appetizer, it's yummy!

Anyway, great blog! :) Keep it up!

oliboy said...

thanks for the input jela, wagyu is just overpriced and hyped up so much it's stupid. good thing the appetizer was actually good or malcolm's will not hear the end of this. :)

thanks! drop by anytime! i'm reading your blog now! :)

shella said...

i have yet to try one of their wagyu offerings...too bad you weren't satisfied. for a 1750 steak you ought to rant about it especially if it's not worth it.

canDIshhh said...

We liked the Wagyu here, but that was like 2 years ago? Hahaha!!

Try Elbert's Steak - super yummy daw, yung price - nasa 2-3K (mahal BUT worth it daw sabi ng dad ng friend ko... ) hahaha!!

Edmund said Mamou's was also good. Malasa daw

oliboy said...

hey shella, thanks for passing by... di pa ba rant tong blog entry na to? hahaha! wait for my elbert's steakroom blog... you'll see me rant on malcolm's! :)

oliboy said...

hey didi! yup didn't like it talaga...

tried elbert's na, watch out for my blog about it na lang! :)

haven't tried mamou though, i will soon, hopefully! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails