Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Steakhouse

April 28, 2008
Clarke Quay, Singapore

I'm at a lost for words with The Steakhouse. Probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. And we are not talking about the overrated Wagyu Beef.

I've eaten my fair share of steaks and I love it. But for me, the best steak is a piece of perfectly cooked black angus rib-eye steak. Luckily, our partners in Singapore treated us to The Steakhouse, a high-end steakhouse found at the heart of Clarke Quay, where I got to try one of the best steaks I've ever had. This is indeed a very bold statement but you have to try it to believe it. Cooking steak is about timing. The time the steak arrives from being air-flown. The holding time in the chiller. The cooking time. All about timing. It isn't as easy as it may seem. Eating a perfectly good steak requires perfection from the butcher and cook. And we all know, it's hard to reach that level of perfection without a few crossroads. It is a very good thing that the experience I had with my order was a perfect one.

We started out with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms which was a treat since it was perfectly cooked and the tenderness of the mushrooms was very noticeable. The mushrooms were still warm from the griller, served in a warm plate, and drizzled with a balsamic vinegar dressing. The mushroom still had bite and the texture was perfect. It was not rubbery like I expected with overcooked mushrooms. The burnt flavor from the grilling complemented the acidity of the balsamic vinegar and everytime you bite a piece, you get a taste of the salt grains. So, from texture to taste, it was an orchestra of flavors. Something I could still cherish up to this day.

Air-Flown Chilled Grain-Fed Black Angus Rib-Eye Steak. If the sound of that doesn't make your mouths water like a leaky faucet, then I don't know what will. Now add to that, grilled and medium-rare on your plate... This was definitely a great great dish. The beef was so tender and perfectly cooked. It tasted sweet and very flavorful. The steak knife would literally slice through the steak like it was butter. That was how tender it was. The meat was cooked consistently all throughout the piece and there was no sign of burning. The juices of the meat oozed out upon every slice. It was simply amazing. The pictures will never do this dish justice. You have to see for yourself and experience The Steakhouse when you're in Clarke Quay.

A note to all restaurateurs, go ahead and overprice your Wagyu's and Kobe's, I'll stick with my come-from-behind-underdog Black Angus Rib-Eye Steak! :)

4 comments:

ALiNe said...

Wagyu price is OA ...hehe!

oliboy said...

you can say that again! :)

Sakai said...

the steak looks good:)

oliboy said...

it's awesome sakai! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails